[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: SLL protocol implementation ?

isaac j. g. writes:

> Can someone comment on SSL versus S-http (implementation schedules not
> religous debates over which is best) ?  Is the intention to have secure
> browsers support both protocols or is this going to divide the user
> community based on what browsers they have ?

  I think it will behoove browser authors to support both.  Netscape
recently announced that they will be supporting S-HTTP in some future
version.  Not sure what their timeline is.

  AIR Mosaic will be supporting Secure-HTTP (already does, just not shipped
yet).  We have not decided whether to support SSL or not.  I imagine we
will, but then I'm not in charge of engineering. :)

  Emacs-w3 will be supporting both as soon as I can find the time.  SSL
will probably be first, with S-HTTP not too far behind.

> What is the status on implementation of WWW servers using s-http vs SSL ?
> Is there any intention on making these available free for non-commerical
> use ?  What's available now ! What browsers support what !  Is there any
> FAQ someone on this topic ?

  I imagine someone will put the REFSSL code into the CERN or NCSA servers
pretty quickly.  There are already servers based on NCSA and CERN for
Secure-HTTP.  You can get info on SPRY's secure web server (free beta) at
http://www.spry.com/secure/betalet.htm - this is based on the CERN 3.0
server, and supports proxying and cacheing, etc.

  -Bill P.

Follow-Ups: References: